Designer: Stefanie O'Dea

Monday, August 23, 2010

DESIGN PHILOSOPHY

As a second year student, majoring in Fashion Design, I believe that i have developed an aesthetic over the past two years that can be viewed as a consistent theme through each of my garments, often exploiting femininity by exposing what lies within a women's mind. I am not only, continuously inspired by the idea of stereotypes and the expectations that lie beneath the heading of a female, but i am also intrigued by fellow students views, and other creative practitioners concepts. The materials (soft floating fabrics and feminine laces, often featuring in the 'candy spew' colour pallet or a floral arrangement) and techniques (voluminous gathers) I often use have created a 'Thats so you' reaction from my peers. I learnt to love the techniques and outcomes of hand sewing quilts and garments from a young age, i feel that my strengths as a designer lie in my ability to think laterally and take risks to produce outcomes in my designs that challenge the norm. However when designing, I more often then most, create a target customer for that particular design/ collection, from the hobbies she partakes in, to her morals and beliefs. I basically design for 'her' she always has a name, and i aim for my consumers to be similar to her in that when they look at my garments there is an instant 'love at first sight, touch and fit' reaction. After researching the in's and out's of the issues surrounding sustainability and fashion, i found myself build a strong morality not only as a designer, but as a consumer also. Only yesterday I was walking threw Endeavour in Paddington thinking to myself, if i don't buy these garments, who will save/ stop them from being treated as waste and adding to the masses dumped into landfill yearly. I was fretting to the point that I must have had SUCH a distressed look on my face, for the volunteer behind the desk to notice and ask, "Are you okay... You look overwhelmed". In the future i hope to incorporate second hand clothing in my practices by up- cycling and creating 'one of pieces' that will be LOVED, no longer pre- loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment