Designer: Stefanie O'Dea

Friday, August 20, 2010



During the design process of the lingerie garments, i visited various op shops to find the right second hand garment/ material to adopt and up- cycle to create a soft vintage style/ shape bra and panel for the french underwear. Initially i was searching for a sheer fabric, preferably floral, however i had no luck in finding any suitable patterns. My head was constantly reminding me that the doily cape was the main attraction and I was wary to not draw the focal point away from it with an a-stranged colour combination that majority of the florals i came across offered. So after trial and error (one garment was bought, cut and then scrapped) i decided to reach within my own wardrobe and up- cycle one of my own dresses, due to the guilt i gained after putting a stop to a garment having a valued second life. Up- cycling within my own wardrobe was a challenge, it is not a pleasant experience cutting into a garment you once felt 'love at first sight' for... but for my own conscious, it was a rewarding spin on the experience of constructing a garment from Up- cycling pre- loved clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment