Designer: Stefanie O'Dea

Monday, August 9, 2010

Visual Presentation

My visual presentation revolves specifically around pushing the dialog to express femininity. I have produced a detailed plan of how i hope to visually present my garment before i have completed the actual making of it. I thought it best to document this detailed plan, my inspiration and introduce my design before the detailed plan lost all its detail...


Doilies: I have always had a fascination with doilies. WhenI heard Heidi's concept of pushing the dialog to express
femininity, her preferred materials (delicate laces, human hair and wax) and her favoured colour pallet known as 'Candy Spew' i was instantly inspired. I was mainly drawn Into Heidi's use of human hair, and began researching
alternatives to cotton thread to construct a garment, (tying in with sustainability). My material of choice is pre- loved
doilies, i aim to thread them together with a more sustainable option vs cotton thread. The end product will be a hand sewn cape, featuring a hood and train.A delicate feminine lingerie piece will feature under the cape.The colour pallet is 'CANDY SPEW'.

Tea party: I was inspired by the idea of a tea party, as being a feminine representation. Young or old girls serving tea to their dollies or their friends, in pearls, lipstick, heels and sheer lace blouses. Nibbling on cupcakes with pretty pink icing on the antique china,a garden overgrown with beautiful flowers and green grass. It's a feminine scene, it is our sanctuary and a representation of our innocence, our childhood. Doilies remind me of a tea- party: delicate, girly, innocent.Doilies= table cloth?

Ballerina Music Box: After being inspired by the scene of a tea party, i was obsessed with the idea of femininity within a young girl. The idea of wearing your mothers hats, dresses, heels and jewellery, carrying around your doll and treating her like your baby. Femininity is installed in us from a young age and i believe that the ballerina music box is an iconic symbol of every young girls childhood.

Yvonne Todd: Heidi Stevens presented me with a book of Yvonne Todd's Art, a series of images of women who look like dolls. I was drawn to this particular image as the model looks like a young girl/doll, in a wedding dress, dull and lifeless holding a symbolic single rose. Heidi mentioned that she was also inspired by the ideaof marriage, in the way of being the end to your life as an indépendant. My take on this concept was the end of your childhood.... NO MORE TEA PARTIES.

SHORT FILM

As my visual presentation i wish to shoot a series of still photographs and create a short film. As an extension of Heidi Steven's art, i wish to put myself in the garment, as she does her art. To set the scene: I see myself dressed in my doilies cape and lingerie, my hair and make up is done as if i were a doll. I am in a garden with a backdrop of beautiful flowers. I am sitting down at a small round table, with teddies and dolls. You can not tell i am wearing the cape, the hood is down and the train is sprawled across the table servicing as the table cloth. A ballerina music box is playing in the background. I poor each of my guests a tea and place a cupcake on my plate. I turn around as if i have heard my name being called, I see a man in a suit with his hand out, expecting me to go with him. I look down at my hand and their is a ring on my engagement finger. I put my hood on and slowly walk away taking his hand. As i walk away the teddy and dollies fall off their chairs, the table cloth follows me spilling the coffee and cake on it as i leave (close up view, showing the texture of the doilies and the motion of the spilling tea cups)... I look back as i am walking away with sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment